Certificate of legal capacity to marry in Japan

Are you a Dutch national planning to marry in Japan? If you have never lived in the Netherlands, the Netherlands embassy in Tokyo can assist you in drawing up a certificate of legal capacity to marry.

Are you a Dutch citizen and do you live in the Netherlands or have you lived in the Netherlands? In that case, you must apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) from the municipality where you live or where you last lived. Were you a minor when you left the Netherlands? Then you must also apply at the municipality where you last lived. The certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, you need copies of the following documents:

  • a valid Dutch identity document
  • an extract from the register of births
  • a civil status extract showing that you are not married. The extract may not be more than 12 months old
  • a divorce certificate if you have previously been married

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

What documents does your non-Dutch partner need?

When you apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, your non-Dutch partner needs copies of the following documents:

  • a passport or another identity document

  • an official document stating his or her address (this document varies from country to country)
  • a declaration of unmarried status.

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

How much do you need to pay?

A consular certificate costs €30,00 per certificate.

In some countries, the authorities will not accept certificates that have been issued digitally. In that case you will need to pay more to have a paper version sent to you. Find out the situation for your country below.

Please transfer the total amount in euros (EUR) payable to:

Bank details
Bank name ING Bank N.V.
Adress bank Financial Plaza, Bijlmerdreef 106
Postal code bank 1102 CT
Bank location Amsterdam
Account holder Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Address Rijnstraat 8
Postal code 2515 XP
Location Den Haag (The Hague)
IBAN NL57 INGB 0705 0010 08

Important! When making the transfer please state the following: VOH - <initials and last name> - <country/city where you apply for the certificate>.

For example: VOH - PJ Janssen - US, Washington

Certificate of legal capacity to marry in this country or region

In some cases we can access your details via your citizen service number (BSN) without the need for the documents listed above. Send an email with your BSN so we can check for you.

If you have a non-Dutch partner, you can, for example, submit a utilities bill to prove your non-Dutch partner's address.

If your partner is a Japanese national, an extract from the family register (koseki tohon: 戸籍謄本) is sufficient as proof of their unmarried status. If your partner has another nationality, contact their country's embassy in Japan for further advice. The document does not need to be legalised, and can be submitted in Dutch, English or Japanese without a translation.


Documents issued by the Dutch embassy in Tokyo are accompanied by a Japanese translation.

How do your apply for a certificate?

Send a scan (in pdf format) of all the required documents to: tok-ca@minbuza.nl. Please attach a proof of payment (in pdf format), for example proof that the costs have been deducted from your bank account. Also don’t forget to mention in your email why you need the certificate.

How long will this process take?

The average processing time for applications is 10 working days. You may be asked to send additional documents if your application form is not complete. Please note! This may result in a delay in processing your application.

You will receive the certificate via email.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please send your questions via the contact form.