Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Iran
As of 1 September 2020 all MVV applications with a positive IND approval notification will be handled at the Dutch embassy in Tehran.
Please note that due to the Corona pandemic we have limited appointments per day. Therefore the proposed or booked appointment might not always be up to your convenience. Cancelling or re-booking an appointment might therefore unfortunately cause delay.
If the above mentioned fits your profile, you can book an appointment by sending an e-mail to the embassy in Tehran.
If the EU travel ban has been lifted for the residents of your country, you can apply for all visa categories. If the EU travel ban has not been lifted for the residents of your country, you can only apply for a visa if you fall under the exemption categories. Check the page " Q&A's Travel restrictions for the Netherlands" to see for which countries the EU travel ban has been lifted and what the exemption categories are. You cannot apply if the embassy/consulate general or the external service provider is not open for service. Please check if you can make an appointment via the appointment system. Are there no dates available? Then it is not yet possible to submit an application.
Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?
You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.
Applying for a residence permit and an MVV
You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:
- through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
- in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.
If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.
What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection
Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region
How to make an appointment for an MVV at the Dutch embassy in Tehran?
Please note that only applications for long stay visa (MVV's) can be submitted at the Dutch embassy in Tehran.
You will have to make an appointment by sending an e-mail to the embassy.
Important: appointment slots at the embassy are not interchangeable. Did you, for example, make an appointment for a consular statement, a passport or an MVV application, while in fact you want to apply for a short-stay visa? Then you won’t be able to submit your application at the embassy on that date. In that case, you will have to schedule a new appointment with VFS Global via the online appointment system of VFS Global in Tehran. You'll have to submit your short stay visa application there.
What is the procedure upon arrival at the embassy?
- Your name will be verified on the appointment list.
- If you are more than 30 minutes late you may be requested to make a new appointment.
- Before entering the waiting area you will have to leave your mobile phone in one of the lockers.
- Upon entering the waiting area you take an entrance number. This number is needed to submit your application at one of the visa counters.
- If your application is not complete or if the photo appears to be retouched or not of a recent date, you might be requested to make a new appointment.
- Your application will be registered at one of the counters.
- During the registration process you will be asked a number of questions.
- In case you will have to pay fees, you will receive a receipt of your payment.
- Your visa application, supporting documents and passport will be kept at the embassy.
Processing time and collection
In Iran the processing time of an MVV application is 15 days. The date of collection will be mentioned on your receipt.
You can collect your passport on the following days and times:
- Sunday to Wednesday from 14.30 - 15.00 hours
- Thursday from 12.00 -12.30 hours
You do not need to make an appointment to collect your passport. Before you come however, please check the days that the embassy is closed.
Your passport does not necessarily have to be collected by yourself. It can also be collected by a person duly authorised by you (copy of his/her ID with your signature).
Important notice for MVV's study
In case there are no timely appointment slots available for MVV - Study, please send an e-mail to the embassy mentioning your contact details and the start of your study programme. The embassy will inform you about the possibilities.