Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Indonesia

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Indonesia, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Jakarta.

You can only travel to the Netherlands if you are exempt from the EU entry ban. Please read the entry rules on

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Application procedure for MVV's in Indonesia

Applications for an MVV can be submitted at the Netherlands embassy in Jakarta.

Make an appointment via our online appointment system.

Check the status of your application.

Check our contact page for contact details and opening times.

Have your document sent by post

If you live in Indonesia, you can also have your passport with the MVV sticker sent to you. The costs are EUR 8.50 per travel document, payable in Indonesian rupiah at the applicable exchange rate at the time of your application.

Important notice for MVV's for study

In case there are no appointment slots available for MVV - Study, please send an e-mail to the embassy ( mentioning your contact details and the start of your study programme. The embassy will inform you about the possibilities.