Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Hong Kong

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Hong Kong, you can apply for this visa type at the Dutch Consulate General in Hong Kong.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Important notice for MVV's for study

In case there are no (timely) appointment slots available for MVV - Study, please book the first available appointment.

Then send an e-mail to the consulate-general mentioning the following details:

  • the reference number and the date and time of your booked appointment (to be found in your email confirmation)
  • your contact details (full name, mobile telephone number etc.)
  • the start of your study programme.

The consulate-general will inform you about the possibilities.

How can I make a visa appointment at the consulate-general in Hong Kong?

If you fall under the exemption categories, please make an appointment for your visa application via the online appointment system of the consulate-general in Hong Kong.

Any questions?

If, after reading the information on this page, you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.