Renewing your driving licence in Hong Kong SAR

If you live in Hong Kong and your Dutch driving licence has (almost) expired, you can renew it. Do you want to drive a car or a motorcycle in Hong Kong as a resident? Then you also need to apply for a Hong Kong driving licence.

Renewing your driving licence

If you have the nationality of an EU/EEA country, you can renew your driving licence via the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW), even if it has already expired. Follow the steps to apply for a new driving licence.

The RDW does not send post abroad. You will therefore need to provide a correspondence address in the Netherlands to which forms and your driving licence can be sent. This could, for example, be the address of a family member or friend.

Step 1: Request an application form

You can request an application form for renewing your driving licence (in Dutch) from the RDW's website.

Step 2: Collect the right documents

You will need the following original documents:

  • your Dutch driving licence
  • a photocopy of your valid travel document, e.g. a passport or identity card 
  • a completed and signed application form
  • 1 colour passport photo that meets Dutch passport photo requirements and is less than 6 months old. 

In the following situations you will need to supply additional documents. Click on the situation(s) that applies (apply) to you for more information.

Step 3: Submit your documents

Send all the documents needed for your application to the RDW: 

RDW, Unit Rijbewijzen
Postbus 9000
9640 HA Veendam
The Netherlands

Step 4: Pay the fee

Pay the fee for your application for a new driving licence. Scroll to ‘Applying for a new driving licence' and 'Fees' on the RDW's website to find out what the fee is and how to pay it. 

The RDW will not assess your application until the fee has been paid. If your application is approved the RDW will send your new driving licence to your correspondence address in the Netherlands within 10 working days. If your application is rejected you will receive a letter explaining why.

Applying for a Hong Kong driving license

You can apply for a Hong Kong driving licence at the Hong Kong Transport Department (in English and Chinese).

What do I need?

If you want to apply for a Hong Kong driving licence, you will need a certificate of authenticity (echtheidsverklaring) from the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) (information in Dutch). The certificate shows whether your driving licence is listed in the Central Driving Licences Register. Visit the website of the RDW for information on how to apply for a certificate of authenticity. There is a fee for this service. Once you have paid you will receive the certificate of authenticity by post at your address. The certificate is in English. It does not need to be translated into Chinese.

You will also need an English translation of your Dutch driving licence, which you must obtain in person via the Dutch consulate-general in Hong Kong. You cannot ask someone else to do it for you. Follow these instructions:

  1. Make an appointment at the consulate-general in Hong Kong. Choose ‘Consular declarations’ in the drop-down menu.  
  2. Go to the appointment yourself (you cannot ask someone else to go for you), bringing the following documents with you:
  • your Dutch driving licence
  • your Hong Kong identity card 
  • your valid Hong Kong visa
  • your Dutch passport

        3. Wait for the English translation of your driving licence, and pay the fee. Find out what you will have to pay in the list of consular fees for Hong Kong.

Visit the website of the Hong Kong Transport Department for information (in English) on the other documents you will need if you wish to apply for a Hong Kong driving licence.

Your Hong Kong driving licence may be valid for longer or shorter than your Dutch driving licence.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also useful