Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Canada

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Canada, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Ottawa or at the consulates-general in Toronto or Vancouver.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Visa applications can be submitted at the Dutch embassy in Ottawa, the consulate-general in Toronto or the consulate-general in Vancouver. Please make an appointment online.

We cannot communicate as to the status of your application. You will be notified via e-mail about the decision of your visa, and when your document will be returned to you (check the mailing instructions). Collecting your document in person is not possible at the moment.