Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Singapore

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

You can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Singapore.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in 2 ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate-general

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Make an appointment at the Netherlands embassy in Singapore to apply for an MVV.

Check the status of your application.

You can collect your passport with the MVV sticker at the following times:

  • Monday: 12:00 - 12:30
  • Tuesday to Friday: 11:00 - 12:00

You do not need to make an appointment. Before you come, check the days on which the embassy is closed.

MVV application for exchange students

Dutch universities and higher professional education institutions (hogescholen) together offer some 1,400 international study programmes and courses in English, making the Netherlands an attractive destination for students from all over the world.

Application process

When you have chosen a university for your exchange, bachelor or master's degree and your application has been accepted, the university will provide you with a list of required documents to apply for your visa at the Immigration Service in the Netherlands.

As soon as you have received the approval for the MVV visa from the IND through your university, you have to make an appointment via our online appointment system to apply for your visa.

Please note

We strongly advise you not to book your flight before you have received the approval from the IND. The Netherlands embassy does not have influence on the decision making process at the Immigration Service (IND) in the Netherlands.


Please bring the following documents:

  • one completed MVV application form
  • passport (original + photocopy: data and signature pages). Your passport must be valid for at least another 6 months
  • Singapore ID/NRIC (original + photocopy)
  • one recent coloured passport photo (important note: light background and mouth closed)

During the application at the embassy we will take your fingerprints. Contrary to what is mentioned above, the processing of the visa will take a maximum of 5 working days. We we will keep your passport during this period.

Registration in the Netherlands

In most cases you need a legalised extract of your birth certificate to register at the municipality in the Netherlands. Please check with your university if this is required as in some cases it is not.

People born in Singapore can use (a copy of) their original birth certificate or get an extract of their birth certificate via the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority. You will have to have it legalised with an apostille from the Singapore Academy of Law.

If you were not born in Singapore, the legalisation needs to be done in the country of birth.

Read more about legalisation of documents on the page Legalisation of documents from Singapore for use in the Netherlands.