Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Nigeria

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

MVV applications for adoption

MVV applications for children until 11 years old (only in case of adoption) can be submitted at the Netherlands consulate-general in Lagos. Make an appointment by sending an e-mail to

For information on how to apply for a residence permit for your adopted child, please visit the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

MVV applications for other categories

For all other categories, you can submit your application at the Netherlands embassy in Cotonou, Benin or at the Netherlands embassy in Accra, Ghana.

On the day of your application in Accra or Cotonou you have the option to either wait during the process of application (this takes up to 15 days), or to request to take your passport so you can return to your country. Passports can then be sent to the embassy via DHL to continue the application process. After completion, you need to arrange for DHL to collect your passport at the embassy in Accra or Cotonou and return it to you.