Forced into marriage or forced to stay abroad

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs helps Dutch nationals who have been forced to stay abroad against their will and want to return to the Netherlands. Staff at Dutch embassies and consulates abroad maintain close contact with victims – who are often minors. They provide advice and make arrangements abroad.

Outside the Netherlands

If you are in a foreign country and are being forced to marry someone against your will, or if you have been left behind in a foreign country against your will and your money and passport have been taken away, call the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on +31 247 247 247. Call at a time when it is safe for you to talk.

You can also ask for help via WhatsApp. Click here to send us a WhatsApp message. Or add our number +316 8238 8055 to the contacts list on your smartphone and then send a message. We aim to answer your question within 30 minutes. Please note: you cannot call or text us on this number.

Before you leave the Netherlands

If you are worried that during an upcoming holiday or a trip to visit relatives, you will be forced to get married or engaged, or prevented from returning to the Netherlands with your family:

  • Before you leave the Netherlands find a recent passport photo and make a photocopy of your passport. Write down your address, your citizen service number (BSN) and any other important information. Write down what has happened. Email or post all this information to someone you trust.
  • Talk to someone you trust, like a teacher or a friend, or call a Veilig Thuis centre for advice on 0800 2000 (in the Netherlands) or +31 (0)70 311 9007 (outside the Netherlands).
  • For more information (in Dutch), go to