Studying and internship in the Netherlands

Language selection:English

If you live abroad and would like to come to the Netherlands to study or do an internship, find out what options are available and what you’ll need to arrange before you arrive.

Find information

  • You may need a residence permit in order to live in the Netherlands. Sometimes you will also need an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV). Your educational institution or employer usually arranges this for you. If this is not the case, check whether you need a residence permit or MVV. The exact visa you need depends on your nationality and the duration of your study programme or internship.
  • If you are coming to the Netherlands for more than 4 months for a study programme or internship, you must register with the Dutch municipality where you are living. Your information will then be entered into the Personal Records Database (BRP). If you are staying less than 4 months, you must register at an RNI municipality and your information will be entered into the Non-residents Records Database (RNI).
  • When you register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) or Non-residents Records Database (RNI) you will be given a citizen service number (BSN). You need a BSN if you want to arrange something with the Dutch authorities.
  • Taking out insurance