Applying for a passport or ID card at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
If you live abroad and want to apply for a passport or ID card at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, you can make an appointment to go to the passport desk of the municipality of Haarlemmermeer, which is located in Arrivals Hall 2.
When you apply for a passport or ID card, it is important to bring the right documents with you. To make sure you have everything you need, create a personal checklist for yourself or your child:
- Go to the page Applying for a passport or identity card if you live abroad and enter the country where you live.
- First create a personal checklist of the documents you need.
- Then check the additional requirements for the country where you live.
Once you have collected all of your documents, send them to the municipality of Haarlemmermeer.
- Make scans of your documents. You do not have to scan your passport photo. If you don’t have a scanner you can also take pictures of the documents using your phone.
- Complete the questionnaire on the municipality of Haarlemmermeer’s website (in Dutch). At some point during the questionnaire, you will be asked to upload your scanned documents and personal checklist.
- When you have completed the questionnaire and uploaded your documents and personal checklist, click verstuur (send).
- You will get an acknowledgement of receipt. The municipality will check the information you provided in the questionnaire and your documents within 2 weeks.
If your documents are in order the municipality of Haarlemmermeer will send you an email within 2 weeks. The email will contain a link you can use to make an appointment.
If the municipality needs more documents from you, you will receive an email informing you of this within 2 weeks.
After making an appointment it will be confirmed by email. The email will contain a link you can use to change or cancel your appointment.
On the day of your appointment report to the passport desk in Arrivals Hall 2 at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. There you can submit your application. You must do this in person; no one else can submit your application for you.
What should I bring?
Bring the originals of the documents whose scans you sent to the municipality. This includes your printed personal checklist.
How much does it cost?
You must pay for your passport or ID card at the passport desk on the day that you apply. The fees for passports and ID cards are provided below:
|Type of travel document||Price|
|Passport for an adult (18 or over)||€112.70|
|Passport for a minor (child under 18)||€94.50|
|ID card for an adult (18 or over)||€105.15|
|ID card for a minor (child under 18)||€74.05|
At the passport desk at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol you can only pay by debit card or certain credit cards. Visa Electron and American Express are not accepted. Cash payment is not accepted either.
How long will it take?
When you submit your application at the passport desk, you can immediately make an appointment to collect your passport or ID card. It will usually be ready in about 3 working days. It may take longer if:
- you have the travel document sent to you
- your current travel document was lost or stolen
- your nationality has to be verified
What happens to my old passport or ID card?
Your old passport or ID card will be rendered invalid. It will be returned to you when you collect your new document.
If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you must make that known when you submit your application.
Collecting your passport or ID card in person
- When you submit your application at the passport desk, you can immediately make an appointment to collect your passport or ID card.
- You must collect your passport or identity card in person at the passport desk.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by their parent(s) or guardian(s) to collect their passport or ID card. If a parent or guardian cannot be there, written permission from them is required. Children aged 12 and over may collect their passport or ID card by themselves.
- You must collect your new passport or ID card within three months; after three months it will be destroyed.
Having your passport or ID card sent to you
You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to the address where you are staying in the Netherlands. This costs €4.95 per document or €9.95 for two or more documents. You must be present to receive delivery of the document. If you have your new passport or ID card sent to you, your old travel document will not be returned.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.