How can I exchange my Dutch driving licence in Slovenia?

If you live in Slovenia and your Dutch driving licence has expired (or has almost expired), you cannot renew it. Your only option is to exchange your Dutch licence for a Slovenian one.

Exchanging your driving licence

You can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Slovenian one at the offices of the municipality where you live. This must be done according to the European rules. You can only have 1 European driving licence. Exchanging your driving licence is only possible if you have been registered as a resident in Slovenia for at least 6 months. You don’t need to retake your driving test.

Attention: Your Slovenian driving licence may be valid for longer or shorter than your Dutch driving licence.

What do I need?

Visit the Slovenian government website for information (in English and Slovenian) on the other documents you will need for the application procedure.

Exchanged driving licence?

If your original driving licence was issued by a country that is not part of the European Union (EU) and you then exchanged it for a Dutch driving licence, you may not always be able to exchange your Dutch driving licence in another EU country. The Slovenian Traffic Safety Agency (information in Slovenian and English) can tell you whether you can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Slovenian licence in this case. If this is not possible, you will need to take your driving test again.

Lost your driving licence?

Have you lost your driving licence? Then you will need a certificate of authenticity (echtheidsverklaring) from the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) (information in Dutch) if you wish to apply for a Slovenian driving licence. The certificate shows whether your driving licence is listed in the Central Driving Licences Register. Visit the website of the RDW for information on how to apply for a certificate of authenticity. There is a fee for this service. Once you have paid you will receive the certificate of authenticity by post at your address. The certificate is in English. You do not need to have it translated or legalised.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.