How can I exchange my Dutch driving licence in Italy?

If you live in Italy and your Dutch driving licence has expired (or has almost expired), you cannot renew it. Your only option is to exchange your Dutch licence for an Italian one.

Exchanging your driving licence

You can exchange your Dutch driving licence for an Italian one at the Motorizzazione Civile (MC) office in the district where you live. This must be done according to the European rules. You can only have 1 European driving licence. You don’t need to retake your driving test. Each MC has its own website. For example, the website of the Motorizzazione Civile in Rome (information in Italian).

Attention: Your Italian driving licence may be valid for longer or shorter than your Dutch driving licence. 

Exchanged driving licence?

If your original driving licence was issued by a country that is not part of the European Union (EU) and you then exchanged it for a Dutch driving licence, you may not always be able to exchange your Dutch driving licence in another EU country. The Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (information in English and Italian) can tell you whether you can exchange your Dutch driving licence for an Italian licence in this case. If this is not possible, you will need to take your driving test again.

Lost your driving licence?

Have you lost your driving licence? Then you will need a certificate of authenticity (echtheidsverklaring) from the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) (information in Dutch) if you wish to apply for an Italian driving licence. The certificate shows whether your driving licence is listed in the Central Driving Licences Register. Visit the website of the RDW for information on how to apply for a certificate of authenticity. There is a fee for this service. Once you have paid you will receive the certificate of authenticity by post at your address. 

The certificate is in English. You will need to have it translated into Italian by a sworn translator. You do not need to have the translation legalised.

Find a sworn translator (Legal Aid Council).

Administrative service

A driving school (autoscuola) or the Automobile Club d’Italia (ACI) (information in Italian), comparable to the Royal Dutch Touring Club ANWB in the Netherlands, can help you apply for a driving licence. There is a fee for this service. The Dutch embassy in Rome cannot assist you, even if you have lost your driving licence. 


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.