How can I exchange my Dutch driving licence in Cyprus?
If you live in Cyprus and your Dutch driving licence has expired (or has almost expired), you cannot renew it. Your only option is to exchange your Dutch licence for a Cypriot one.
Exchanging your driving licence
You can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Cypriot one at the Citizen Service Centre (KEP). There is a fee for this service. This must be done according to the European rules. You can only have 1 European driving licence. You don’t need to retake your driving test. You can submit your application in person at a district office of the Transport Department or the KEP.
24 Albert Einstein, Deryneia Industrial Area
5380 Deryneia, Ammochostos
Acropoleos Avenue 13, Aradippou Industrial Area
7101 Aradippou, Lanarca
Tel.: 24813228, 24813218, 24813412
Koroivou, Polemidia, 3112 Limassol
Old Road Nicosia-Limassol (next to General Hospital)
Mesogi Industrial Area
8061 Mesogi, Paphos
What do I need?
If you want to apply for a Cypriot driving licence, you will need the following documents:
- A completed TOM 7D form (available at local Transport Department offices).
- A recent photograph (45x35mm).
- Your passport and a photocopy of the personal details page of your passport.
- Your Dutch driving licence and a photocopy of your Dutch driving licence (you will have to hand in your Dutch licence so it can be returned to the RDW).
- A translation of your Dutch driving licence. The translation must be made by the Press and Information Office (PIO) (information in English and Greek).
- If you are over the age of 70 you may need a medical certificate issued by a doctor.
Exchanged driving licence?
If your original driving licence was issued by a country that is not part of the European Union (EU) and you then exchanged it for a Dutch driving licence, you may not always be able to exchange your Dutch driving licence in another EU country. The Road Transport Department (information in English, Greek and Turkish) can tell you whether you can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Cypriot licence in this case. If this is not possible, you will need to take your driving test again.
Lost your driving licence?
Have you lost your driving licence? Then you will need a certificate of authenticity (echtheidsverklaring) from the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) to apply for a Cypriot driving licence. The certificate shows whether your driving licence is listed in the Central Driving Licences Register. Visit the website of the RDW for information on how to apply for a certificate of authenticity. There is a fee for this service. Once you have paid you will receive the certificate of authenticity by post at your address. The certificate is in English. You do not need to have it translated or legalised.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.