How can I exchange my Dutch driving licence in Croatia?

If you live in Croatia and your Dutch driving licence has expired (or has almost expired), you cannot renew it. Your only option is to exchange your Dutch licence for a Croatian one.

Exchanging your driving licence

You can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Croatian one at the Croatian Ministry of the Interior (information in Croatian and English). This must be done according to the European rules. You can only have 1 European driving licence. You don’t need to retake your driving test.

Attention: Your Croatian driving licence may be valid for longer or shorter than your Dutch driving licence.

What do I need?

If you want to apply for a Croatian driving licence, you will need the following documents:

  • your Dutch driving licence
  • 1 passport photo (35x45mm)
  • proof of payment of HRK 15 (administrative fee)
  • payment of HRK 151 (standard procedure), HRK 200 (accelerated procedure) or HRK 450 (urgent procedure) for the driving licence.

Exchanged driving licence?

If your original driving licence was issued by a country that is not part of the European Union (EU) and you then exchanged it for a Dutch driving licence, you may not always be able to exchange your Dutch driving licence in another EU country. The Croatian Ministry of the Interior can tell you whether you can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Croatian licence in this case. If this is not possible, you will need to take your driving test again.

Lost your driving licence?

Have you lost your driving licence? Then you will need a certificate of authenticity (echtheidsverklaring) from the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) if you wish to apply for a Croatian driving licence. This shows whether your driving licence is listed in the Central Driving Licences Register. Visit the website of the RDW for information on how to apply for a certificate of authenticity. There is a fee for this service. Once you have paid you will receive the certificate of authenticity by post at your address. The certificate is in English. You will need to have it translated into Croatian by a sworn translator. You do not need to have the translation legalised.

Find a sworn translator (Legal Aid Council).


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.