Netherlands Worldwide

In which countries do I need an International Driving Permit?

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a translation of your Dutch driving licence into several languages. You can use it to show which vehicles you are qualified to drive and rent. Whether you need an International Driving Permit abroad depends on the country you will be driving in.


An International Driving Permit is only valid in combination with your Dutch driving licence. Always check whether you can use you Dutch driving licence abroad.

International Driving permit (IDP): countries outside the EU only

You do not need an International Driving Permit in the European Union (EU). In these countries you are allowed to drive using your valid Dutch driving licence. However, in most countries outside the EU you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP).

The website of the Royal Dutch Touring Club (ANWB) gives you information about which countries require an IDP, different types of IDP, how long they are valid for and what they cost.

Check the countries that require an International Driving Permit (, information in Dutch)

Applying for an International Driving Permit

You can buy an International Driving Permit (IDP) from an ANWB shop in the Netherlands. This is only possible if you live in the Netherlands. You will need to come to the shop in person to apply. You cannot ask someone else to do it for you. The IDP will be ready within a few minutes. 

Bring the following with you:

International Driving Permit lost, stolen or expired?

If your International Driving Permit has been lost or stolen, or has expired, you can apply to the ANWB for a new one when you are back in the Netherlands. 


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.