Applying for emergency documents in United Kingdom

If your passport or identity card is lost or stolen while you are in United Kingdom and you want to apply for a new passport, ID card or for a laissez-passer, contact the Dutch embassy or consulate. Bring the necessary documents with you to your appointment.

Until further notice, due to the corona virus, you can only apply for an emergency document at an embassy or consulate-general in case of absolute emergency: your travel document has expired and you must travel immediately for medical or humanitarian reasons.

Check whether you need an emergency document

You do not always require an emergency or replacement document. Go to Lost or stolen passport or identity card to find out what to do in your situation.

If you require an emergency document, send an email

If you need an emergency document, email the embassy or consulate-general as soon as possible. See below for contact details.

Include the following information and documents, so that the embassy or consulate-general can process your application:

  • a scan or photograph of your lost or stolen passport or ID card;
    • your full name (as it appears in your lost or stolen passport or ID card);
    • your date of birth;
    • the name of the authority that issued your passport (mayor of...., ambassador to....., consul in...);
    • the date on which your lost or stolen passport or ID card was issued;
  • the telephone number on which you can be reached;
  • proof that you cannot postpone your journey, for example a travel itinerary, flight details, other reservations or a letter from your employer;
  • your current location.

Permission to issue an emergency travel document

After they have received your email, staff at the embassy or consulate will decide what travel document you require, based on your travel itinerary. This will either be:

  • a new passport or ID card;
  • a laissez-passer; or
  • an emergency passport

A Dutch laissez-passer or emergency passport is not accepted by all countries.

After it has received your email, the embassy or consulate will need to ask the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for permission to issue you with an emergency document. It usually takes between 1 and 3 working days for permission to be given.

If you have not attached a scan or photo of your missing passport or ID card, the ministry will check your details with the municipality or authority that issued your passport or ID card. It is only possible to check details Monday to Friday. This may cause a delay.

The embassy or consulate-general will contact you to discuss where and when you can apply for your emergency travel document. You will need to come to the embassy or consulate in person.

Bring the right documents

Make sure you take the following documents with you to the embassy or consulate:

  • a completed passport application form;
  • a completed declaration stating that the travel document is missing (C2 Form);
  • 2 photos that meet Dutch requirements;
  • proof that you are a tourist or proof that you cannot postpone your journey;
  • tickets for your onward journey if you are travelling by plane, train or boat;
  • if possible: a photocopy of the passport or ID card that was lost or stolen;
  • if possible: other identity documents or photocopies of them;
  • if possible: a police report stating that your passport or ID card was lost or stolen.

Emergency travel documents for children

If the emergency travel document is for a child younger than 18, their parent(s) or guardian(s) must give permission. They must sign passport application form and submit photocopies of their own passports.

If this is not possible, bring proof of consent from the child's parent(s) or guardian(s) and photocopies of their passports.

How much does an emergency document cost?

For the cost of applying for a regular or emergency travel document, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

Issuing a laissez-passer or emergency passport generally takes 1 to 3 working days.

If the Ministry of Foreign Affairs decides that you need a new regular passport or ID card instead – for instance because the country you are due to travel to does not accept Dutch laissez-passers or emergency passports – it will take longer.

Applying for an emergency document in this country or region

Visiting the United Kingdom and your passport or identity card has been lost or stolen?

Application emergency document

You can apply for an emergency travel document (a laissez-passer) during working days. You can apply at the Netherlands Embassy in London during working hours without an appointment.
Please note that the Embassy has to give permission for the issuance of a laissez-passer if you wish to apply at one of the consulates in the United Kingdom.You therefore first have to complete the passport application form and the declaration stating the travel document has been lost (C2 form) and send these forms with the other documents listed above to the consular section of the Embassy in London. The Embassy will contact the honorary consul once approval has been given to issue an emergency travel document. Contacting the honorary consul before approval has been given therefore is not advisable and could cause a delay.

Stranded during the weekend?

It has been found that some travel companies are prepared – after consultation with the Dutch Border Agency – to transport stranded Dutch tourists holding a return ticket Netherlands – UK back to the Netherlands provided they still have the return ticket used to travel to the UK and also a copy of the lost or stolen document in combination with other identity documents like a Dutch driving license. In case your return journey is during the weekend and the earliest possibility to be seen for the application of a emergency travel document at the Embassy or Consulate is the next working day, you can check with your carrier if they are willing to take you on the basis of these documents. The Embassy cannot mediate in any way. It is always preferable to apply for an emergency document before your journey if there is a possibility to do so. 

Emergency documents are not acceptable in all countries.

Please make sure to clarify your full itinerary when passing on the information. With an emergency travel document you can always travel back to the Netherlands.

Please note: For the Embassy the previously mentioned declaration of loss (C2 form) is sufficient for the application of a new/replacement travel document, a police report from the loss or theft is not required. Your insurance company, however, may need a police report if an insurance claim is made.

Living in the UK and your Dutch passport or identity card had been lost or stolen?

Applying for a new document

When your Dutch passport or identity card is stolen, lost or expired and you have no immediate need to travel soon please follow the regular passport renewal instructions. You should make an appointment with the passport department of the Embassy.

Emergency appointment

If you have an immediate need to travel and you would like to use our priority/emergency procedure please contact the consular department of the Embassy. The Embassy will assess whether you are eligible. If so, you must prove by documentary evidence that you have a need due to unforeseen and urgent short-term conditions to travel. Because of the additional administrative burden an additional fee has to be paid (€ 10). The Embassy will process your application for a new travel document with priority treatment.

If even this emergency procedure takes too long, the Embassy in extreme emergencies can (in some cases through a Consulate, depending on where you reside) in addition provide a laissez-passer for the benefit of the next emergency trip.

Emergency documents are not accepted in all countries. Please make sure when providing your details that it is clear which country you are travelling to!


In order to qualify for the fast track procedure and/or an emergency travel document you will need to submit all documents for a regular passport application, as well as documents providing proof of the fact your trip is an ‘emergency’:

  • Booked ticket (airline/ferry/train). If you do not have a ticket at the time of your request for a fast track procedure you should first verify any booking with the consular section. This is because it cannot be guaranteed that your request will be honoured.
  • In case of illness / death first or second degree relative: medical certificate from a specialist / death certificate / documents proving the family relationship.
  • In case of another emergency: documentary evidence showing the reason for the journey.

Prevention of misuse

Do you want to prevent misuse of your lost or stolen passport or identity card? Complete the declaration stating that the travel document has been lost and hand it in at the Embassy.

Found your passport or identity card again?

Did you report your passport or identity card as lost or stolen and have you found it again? You cannot use it anymore as it has been registered internationally as lost. This registration cannot be reversed. It is an offence to use a passport or identity card that has been reported as lost or stolen. 
You can hand in the passport or identity card at:

- a Dutch embassy

- Dutch border control ('Koninklijke Marechaussee')

- a municipality in the Netherlands