Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Ukraine

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Ukraine, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Kiev.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

How to apply for a long-stay visa in the Ukraine?

Long-stay visa (MVV) applications must be lodged at the Dutch embassy in Kiev. Such applications cannot be submitted at the honorary consulate or via an external service provider.

As soon as you have received the approval letter from the IND, you can make an appointment via the online appointment system.


Bring all the documents mentioned in the letter from the IND with you. All official documents should have an apostille and should be translated. Translations should have an apostille as well.

Minors: If the legal guardian of a minor is staying behind, it is obligatory to bring an original permission of this guardian. This permission should not be older than three months. If this is not the case, bring proof that the parent travelling has sole custody of the minor.

Processing time

The processing time is up to 7 working days. If an applicant comes from abroad, the embassy tries to issue the MVV on the same day.

Check the status of your application.

Collecting an MVV

It is not possible to have a passport delivered by post. Applicants need to come in person or authorize another person to pick up the passport. This can be done on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 14.30 hours.

Check the days on which the embassy is closed. For contact details visit the contact page.

Visa applications of residents of the Crimea

Persons living in the Ukraine (including the Crimea) have to apply for their long-stay visa at the Netherlands embassy in Kiev.

Make an appointment via the online appointment system.

Check the status of your application.

No visa can be issued in Russian passports issued in the Crimea during the occupation because the Netherlands does not acknowledge these documents. If it is a Russian passport issued in the Crimea before the occupation or issued in Russia, a visa can be issued.

Inhabitants of the Crimea can exit the Crimea (and enter at a later stage) with their Russian passport and, if they hold the Ukrainian nationality, can apply for a Ukrainian passport or extend their current Ukrainian passport through the Ukrainian authorities (for instance in the Kherson region).