Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Singapore

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

You can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Singapore.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Make an appointment via our online appointment system to apply for your visa.

Check the status of your application.

MVV application for exchange students

Dutch universities and higher professional education institutions (hogescholen) together offer some 1,400 international study programmes and courses in English, making the Netherlands an attractive destination for students from all over the world.

Application process

When you have chosen a university for your exchange, bachelor or master's degree and your application has been accepted, the university will provide you with a list of required documents to apply for your visa at the Immigration Service in the Netherlands.

As soon as you have received the approval for the MVV visa from the IND through your university, you have to make an appointment via our online appointment system to schedule an appointment at the embassy to apply for your visa.

Please note

We strongly advise you not to book your flight before you have received the approval from the IND.
The Netherlands Embassy does not have influence on the decision making process at the Immigration Service (IND) in the Netherlands.


Please bring the following documents:

  • one completed MVV application form
  • valid passport (original + photocopy: data and signature pages)
  • Singapore ID/NRIC (original + photocopy)
  • one recent coloured passport photo (important note: light background and mouth closed)

During the application at the Embassy we will take your fingerprints.
Contrary to what is mentioned above, the processing of the visa will take a maximum of 5 working days. We we will keep your passport during this period.

Registration in the Netherlands

In most cases you need a legalised extract of your birth certificate to register at the municipality in the Netherlands. Please check with your university if this is required as in some cases it is not.
People born in Singapore can get an extract of their birth certificate (not to be laminated) via the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority. It should then be legalised by the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Netherlands Embassy in Singapore.
The cost for legalisation at the embassy is the Singapore Dollar equivalent of € 26,25.

If you were not born in Singapore, the legalisation needs to be done in the country of birth.

Please note

We advise you to bring the MFA legalised birth certificate when you come to have your visa processed so that you only have to come to the Embassy for the application and for pick up of your passport and legalised birth certificate.