Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of New Zealand

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In New Zealand, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Wellington.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Make an appointment to apply for your visa.

Check the status of your visa application.

Check our contact page for contact details and opening times.

Requirements Passport Photos

The following photographers have been notified of the Dutch requirements for photos:
Unichem Lambton Quay
74-82 Lambton Quay, Bowen House
Ph.: 044720293

Have your document sent by post from embassy Wellington

You can also have your passport with the visa sent to you by post. The embassy uses a courier service to do so. 
If you wish to make use of this service, please let us know during your application and fill out your adddress details on an envelope at the counter. The extra costs to have your document sent by post are 8 NZD. You must pay this amount during your application.