Applying for an emergency travel document in in Ireland

If your passport or identity card (ID card) is lost or stolen while you are in Ireland, follow these steps.

Check whether you need an emergency document

You do not always require an emergency or replacement document. Go to Lost or stolen passport or identity card to find out what to do in your situation.

If you require an emergency document, send an email

If you need an emergency document, email the embassy or consulate-general as soon as possible. See below for contact details.

Include the following information and documents, so that the embassy or consulate-general can process your application:

  • a scan or photograph of your lost or stolen passport or ID card;
    • your full name (as it appears in your lost or stolen passport or ID card);
    • your date of birth;
    • the name of the authority that issued your passport (mayor of...., ambassador to....., consul in...);
    • the date on which your lost or stolen passport or ID card was issued;
  • the telephone number on which you can be reached;
  • proof that you cannot postpone your journey, for example a travel itinerary, flight details, other reservations or a letter from your employer;
  • your current location.

Permission to issue an emergency travel document

After they have received your email, staff at the embassy or consulate will decide what travel document you require, based on your travel itinerary. This will either be:

  • a new passport or ID card;
  • a laissez-passer; or
  • an emergency passport

A Dutch laissez-passer or emergency passport is not accepted by all countries.

After it has received your email, the embassy or consulate will need to ask the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for permission to issue you with an emergency document. It usually takes between 1 and 3 working days for permission to be given.

If you have not attached a scan or photo of your missing passport or ID card, the ministry will check your details with the municipality or authority that issued your passport or ID card. It is only possible to check details Monday to Friday. This may cause a delay.

The embassy or consulate-general will contact you to discuss where and when you can apply for your emergency travel document. You will need to come to the embassy or consulate in person.

Bring the right documents

Make sure you take the following documents with you to the embassy or consulate:

  • a completed passport application form;
  • a completed declaration stating that the travel document is missing (C2 Form);
  • 2 photos that meet Dutch requirements;
  • proof that you are a tourist or proof that you cannot postpone your journey;
  • tickets for your onward journey if you are travelling by plane, train or boat;
  • if possible: a photocopy of the passport or ID card that was lost or stolen;
  • if possible: other identity documents or photocopies of them;
  • if possible: a police report stating that your passport or ID card was lost or stolen.

Emergency travel documents for children

If the emergency travel document is for a child younger than 18, their parent(s) or guardian(s) must give permission. They must sign passport application form and submit photocopies of their own passports.

If this is not possible, bring proof of consent from the child's parent(s) or guardian(s) and photocopies of their passports.

How much does an emergency document cost?

For the cost of applying for a regular or emergency travel document, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

Issuing a laissez-passer or emergency passport generally takes 1 to 3 working days.

If the Ministry of Foreign Affairs decides that you need a new regular passport or ID card instead – for instance because the country you are due to travel to does not accept Dutch laissez-passers or emergency passports – it will take longer.

Applying for an emergency document in this country or region

Visiting Ireland and your passport or identity card has been lost or stolen?

Application replacement emergency document

You can apply for an emergency travel document (a laissez-passer) during working days. This is subject to certain fees . You can apply for an emergency travel document at the Netherlands embassy in Dublin during working hours without an appointment. If you wish to apply for a laissez-passer we request that you supply the necessary documents and information to our consular department beforehand by e-mail (if possible).

In practice it has been found that some travel companies are prepared to transport stranded Dutch tourists back to the Netherlands provided they have reported the lost/stolen document with the police authorities and they hold a copy of the lost or stolen document or a Dutch driving license. You need to contact your carrier to see if this is a possibility. The Embassy cannot be part of this decision, nor can the embassy mediate in any way. If you have the opportunity to request an emergency replacement document for your return journey this is always preferable.

Your details

In case you discover you have lost your passport or identity card, please contact the embassy by email and pass on the following details in order to speed up the procedure:

1.     your full name

2.     date of birth

3.     place of birth

4.     place of issuance of the lost Dutch travel document and photocopy if available

5.     contact details, email address and phone number on which you are available as well as the address you are staying at in Ireland.

6.     In case you are still in the possession of a valid driving license or other identity documents with a photo please state this and provide a scan of this document if possible.

Emergency documents are not accepted in all countries.

Please make sure to clarify your full itinerary when passing on the information. With an emergency travel document you can always travel back to the Netherlands.

Please note: For the embassy the previously mentioned declaration of loss (C2 form) is sufficient for the application of a new/replacement travel document, a police report from the loss or theft is not required. Your insurance company, however, may need a police report if an insurance claim is made.

Living in Ireland and your Dutch passport or identity card had been lost or stolen?


When your passport or identity card is lost or stolen it is compulsory to fill in and send us a declaration of loss (C2). Please send a scan/copy of this filled in and signed C2 form as soon as possible to so your document can be reported to prevent misuse by others. The original C2 form must be presented with the application for a new travel document. You can report the document as lost or stolen with the police, but this is not compulsory.

Applying for a new travel document

If your Dutch passport or identity card is stolen, lost or expired and you have no immediate need to travel soon please follow the regular passport renewal instructions. You should make an appointment with the consular department of the embassy.

Emergency appointment

If you have an immediate need to travel and you would like to use our priority/emergency procedure, please contact the consular department of the embassy. The embassy will assess whether you are eligible. If so, you must prove by documentary evidence that you have a need due to unforeseen and urgent short-term conditions to travel. Because of the additional administrative burden an additional fee has to be paid (€50).

The embassy will process your application for a new travel document with priority treatment.

If even this emergency procedure takes too long, the embassy can, in extreme emergencies,  provide a laissez-passer for the emergency trip.

Emergency documents are not accepted in all countries. Please make sure when providing your details that it is clear which country you are travelling to!

Prevention of misuse
Please note: Passports and identity cards that have been lost or stolen are registered to prevent fraud and misuse. The passport or identity card can therefore not be used if it is later recovered. Please send it to the embassy, gemeente or Dutch border control as soon as possible.