Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

Are you having a child, and you and the birth mother are not married or in a civil partnership? You, as a father or the female partner of a birth mother, can become a legal parent if you officially acknowledge parenthood of that child. This can be done free of charge through your municipality.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

For acknowledging a child as well as choosing a last name, you need to visit the municipality in person. Acknowledgement is possible in every municipality in the Netherlands. Please make an appointment for this purpose.

Phone: +31 599 32 02 20 or e-mail: 

Different rules may apply if you do not hold Dutch citizenship or if you live abroad. More information and advice about your personal situation will be provided to you during your appointment.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Westerwolde

Visiting address

Last updated on 23 December 2022