Netherlands Worldwide

Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

Are you having a child, and you and the birth mother are not married or in a civil partnership? You, as a father or the female partner of a birth mother, can become a legal parent if you officially acknowledge parenthood of that child. This can be done through your municipality. Acknowledging parenthood of a child free of charge. You can acknowledge parenthood of a child during pregnancy, at the time of registration of the birth, or after registration of the birth.

Find out about how this works in your (future) place of residence.

Last updated on 23 December 2022