Netherlands Worldwide

Reporting soil pollution or soil degradation

Have you noticed that soil in your area is polluted or damaged? For example, are there harmful substances in the soil of your garden or in your neighbourhood? If so, you must report this to your province as soon as possible. You must also report it if you carry out work that may pollute or damage the soil. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Reporting soil/ sediment contamination or soil degradation

For certain activities or events involving the soil you will need to notify the provincial authorities. Specifically:

  • If you have damaged the ground or contaminated soil or have seen that this has been done by another party, please report that to us.
  • If you have polluted sediment on the water bed or have seen that this has been done by another party, please report that to the authority responsible for that body of water (either Rijkswaterstaat, the water board or the provincial authorities).
  • If you are planning to clean up contaminated soil or sediment (‘soil remediation’), you must always notify us that you will be carrying out these activities Once the remediation activities are complete you must write up an evaluation report and, if necessary, submit a follow-up plan as well.
  • You can authorise a company to make a notification or request permission to carry out soil remediation on your behalf. We can provide you with the authorisation form on request.

If you plan to carry out activities in an area close to a source of drinking water, it’s important to note that certain activities are not permitted in a groundwater extraction area (an area from which a water supply company extracts groundwater for drinking) or groundwater protection area (an area immediately surrounding the groundwater extraction area). You can request a dispensation for your activities or notify us in advance. The provincial authorities determine whether you need to request a dispensation or whether a notification will suffice.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Noord-Brabant

Visiting address

Last updated on 17 January 2023