Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a death in the Netherlands

Would you like to report the death of a loved one or someone else? Usually the funeral director will declare the death, but you can also do this yourself. This should be done at the municipality where your loved one died.

This is how it works in your (future) place of residence

Your (future) place of residence falls under the Municipality of Oldenzaal.

report a death

If someone has died, this must be reported to the municipality in which the person died. Usually the funeral director does this on behalf of the next of kin. But you can also make a declaration yourself. According to the law, anyone who has 'knowledge of the death from their own knowledge' may file a report. The declaration must be made to the civil registrar of the municipality where the death took place.

After a declaration has been made, you will be given permission to bury or cremate the deceased. The municipality also ensures that the basic registration of persons (BRP) is adjusted. The municipality issues a death certificate.

Has someone close to you died during a visit abroad? Employees of the embassy, ​​consulate or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs can help you. You must also report the death to the municipality where the deceased lived. You need a death certificate for this. Sometimes the deed must have an apostille or legalization. This indicates that the document is genuine. For more information, visit the website.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oldenzaal