Paying parking tax
Parking your car or other vehicle is not free everywhere and at all times in the Netherlands. In some areas and at certain times you have to pay for parking. By paying for parking you also pay parking tax (parkeerbelasting). If you do not pay for parking where and when necessary you will be charged a penalty. This penalty is called a parking ticket (parkeerbon). If you disagree with the penalty you can challenge it with the municipality.
Sometimes it is unclear whether you have paid for parking, for example if:
- the parking attendant cannot see your parking receipt in your vehicle’s window;
- the parking period on the receipt has expired;
- you have not paid for your parking using a parking app;
- you have not registered your car’s registration number in the parking app.
You will then receive a notice to pay for parking, plus the penalty.
Do you disagree with a penalty and wish to challenge it? You can contact the municipality that issued it. The municipality will then inform you of the conditions under which the parking ticket was issued. The municipality will also explain what you must do if you have received a parking ticket, and how to challenge the penalty if you disagree.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Papendrecht: Paying parking tax
In the center area of Papendrecht, a blue zone is in force in which a parking disc may be parked for a maximum of 1 hour. Do you want to park longer? Please use the parking garages.
If you live or work in this area, you can apply for a parking exemption/permit.
Parking in the center for more than an hour is not allowed. You may be charged a penalty. You will receive this penalty bij post on behalf of the municipality.
If you have a car and you live or work in the area where parking is only allowed with a parking exemption / permit, you can apply for a parking exemption / permit at the town hall. You can make an appointment here: Een afspraak maken | Gemeente Papendrecht (mijnafspraakmaken.nl)
- If you have received a fine, you will find the amount on the levy. Make sure you pay on time. More information can be found on the levy.
- For more information about the costs of a parking exemption or permit, click here (under "kosten"): Parkeren centrumgebied - Gemeente Papendrecht
Do you disagree with the charge? If so, you can lodge a complaint. You can do so by email, post or online. More information about lodging a complaint, you will find on the charge.
Contact details are not yet available for your municipality.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Public Information Service