Netherlands Worldwide

Notifying the municipality when you move home

Are you moving home within the Netherlands? If so, notify the new municipality where you are going to live of your move. The new municipality will register you at your new address. You do not need to deregister from your old municipality.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch: Notifying the municipality when you move home

Please note. You can only report your move if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality. Registering a removal is free of charge.

If you are moving within the Netherlands, you should inform the municipality where you will be living. Do so within 5 days of your moving date or a maximum of 28 days before the move. Are you moving abroad or has your address been wrongly registered? Even then we will be happy to help you.

Who can report the move?

  • Yourself, if you are 16 years or older.
  • For a child under 16: parent, guardian or caregiver.
  • A parent and an adult child can pass on the move for each other if the new address is the same.
  • Spouses or registered partners, if they are moving together to the same address. 
  • The conservator on behalf of a person placed under a conservatorship.
  • A head of a healthcare institution, if the patient himself is unable to pass on the change of address.

You cannot pass on a change of address for someone who is wrongly registered at your address. In such a case, have the municipality launch an address investigation.

Notifying a change of address

You cannot pass on your relocation by e-mail.


Log in with DigiD and pass on your change of address online here.

Have you already submitted your change of address, but would like to make some changes? Then send an e-mail via the digital contact form. Please include the registration reference of your change of address in the message.

By post/mail

You can also pass on your change of address by post/mail via a letter. Please include the following information:

  • first and last name,
  • date of birth,
  • the old and new address and
  • the removal date for yourself and any persons moving with you.
  • state your telephone number and/or e-mail address.
  • sign the letter an
  • enclose a copy of your proof of identity.

Send the letter to: Municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch, Department of Public Services, PO Box 12345, 5200 GZ 's-Hertogenbosch.

At the counter

You can drop by the municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch, Wolvenhoek 1, 's-Hertogenbosch. Please make an appointment first.

Your old municipality

Are you moving to 's-Hertogenbosch from another municipality? Then your old municipality will automatically receive your new address. You do not need to deregister there.

Moving from abroad

Are you moving to 's-Hertogenbosch from abroad (immigration/integration)? Or will you be in the Netherlands for at least 4 months in the next six months? Then register in person at the municipality within 5 days of your arrival. Bring your partner and/or children who also need to be registered. The processing of your registration takes a maximum of 28 days, but we will arrange it as soon as possible.

No European nationality

Are you coming to the Netherlands for the first time and do not have European nationality? If so, you must first apply to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) for a residence permit. You can make an appointment with the IND via +31 88 043 04 30. For more information, go to the IND website.

Postal address

Because you are temporarily staying in an institution, you may prefer not to receive your mail at that address, but at family or friends, for example. In that case, you can apply for a postal address.

Confidentiality of personal data

You can ask the municipality to keep your personal details confidential. Your personal details, such as your name, address, place of residence, marital status and nationality, are recorded in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). Your data will not be passed on to private individuals or commercial institutions without your written consent. This is not possible for bailiffs, notaries and government institutions such as the Tax Office, UWV or the Social Insurance Bank. Your data is needed to perform their legal task.

Social institutions such as churches, care for the elderly or social work may request your details. Do you not want them to receive your address? Then you can ask the municipality to keep your details confidential.

Further information and contact

For more information, please contact the Public Services Department of the municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch via telephone or WhatsApp +31 73 - 615 51 55 or send an e-mail via the digital contact form.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch

Visiting addresses

Also useful

Last updated on 22 September 2022