Notifying the municipality when you move home
Are you moving home within the Netherlands? If so, notify the new municipality where you are going to live of your move. The new municipality will register you at your new address. You do not need to deregister from your old municipality.
The move can be notified by:
- anyone aged 16 or older;
- cohabiting spouses / civil partners on behalf of each other;
- the parent, guardian or caregiver on behalf of minor children;
- parents on behalf of adult children living with them;
- adult children on behalf of parents living with them;
- the conservator on behalf of a person placed under a conservatorship;
- an authorised representative.
You must notify the new municipality where you are going to live that you are moving home. You must inform it of your new address no later than 4 weeks before the moving date, or within 5 days after the moving date.
Contact your new municipality for more information.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Moving to or within Leiden
Please note that you can only notify the city of your move when you are living in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Do you plan to move to or within Leiden? You can notify the city from 4 weeks in advance until 5 days after your move.
In order to notify the municipality of your move, you need:
- A copy of the purchase or rental contract in your name.
Depending on your situation, you may need:
- If you are moving in with someone else, you need written permission and a copy of the ID of the main resident.
- If you are moving to an institution or a nursing home, but you don't have a rental contract in your name, send us a copy of the institution's confirmation letter.
Notifying the municipality of your move is free of charge.
Your change of address takes:
- when moving within Leiden: 1 working day.
- when moving to Leiden: at least 3 working days.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Leiden