Netherlands Worldwide

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch: Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Please note: you can report that you are moving outside the Netherlands only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Are you going abroad for more than 8 months or maybe even permanently within the one-year period? Then you must report your departure to the municipality. We will then deregister you from the Basic Registration of Persons. Do this at least 4 weeks before, but no later than the day of your departure. Registering your removal is free of charge.  

Are you leaving for less than 8 months and not maintaining your address in the Netherlands? Then you may be able to take out a letter address.  

Online, at the counter or in writing  

You can inform us of your departure abroad in three ways:  

  1. Online via a digital form (only with a DigiD code)  
  2. When visiting the counter in our town hall. This is only possible if you make an appointment for this
  3. In writing via a letter; include the following information about yourself and any persons moving with you:
  • first and last name, date and place of birth,   
  • the old and new address (or country) and the removal date, 
  • all persons aged 16 and over must sign the declaration and enclose a copy of their identification documents, 
  • an exception applies to the person you are married to or registered as a partner, 
  • you can send the letter to: Gemeente 's-Hertogenbosch, Department of Public Services, PO Box 12345, 5200 GZ 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands.

Proof of deregistration  

In many countries you need a proof of deregistration from your last place of residence. You can only apply for this proof after you have deregistered abroad. You can apply for it at an RNI office (Non-Residents Registration Office).   

Sometimes countries also ask for a certificate of good conduct (VOG). You must apply for this separately from our municipality.  

Further information  

For applications and conditions, please contact the municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch via telephone or WhatsApp +31 73 615 51 55 or send us an e-mail via the digital contact form.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch

Visiting address

Last updated on 26 September 2022