Netherlands Worldwide

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.


Please note: you can report that you are moving outside the Netherlands only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Even if you keep your house in the Netherlands, you must report the move to the municipality.

Are you staying aboad for less than 8 months? Then you can report the move, but it is not necessary.

The municipality will inform the authorities that are connected to the BRP, such as the Tax and Customs Administration and the pension funds.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Olst-Wijhe

Visiting addresses

Last updated on 26 September 2022