Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG) in the Netherlands
Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country.
There are several ways to apply for a VOG:
- Are you registered with your municipality in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP)? Then you or your employer can submit a fully completed application form to the municipality.
- Are you not registered with your municipality in the BRP? For example, if you are working in the Netherlands temporarily or living outside the Netherlands? Then send your application with all accompanying appendices to Justis by post (in Dutch). You can also download the application form from the justis.nl website.
Do you own a company or organisation that requires a VOG? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen – VOG RP (certificate of conduct for legal entities).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Certificate of good conduct (VOG)
An organization may ask you for a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG). For example, an employer, because you will be working in childcare, education or as a cab driver. Or because you need a visa. This declaration states that you have not done anything criminal that has to do with the reason for which you need the VOG.
Organizations can also apply for a VOG. For example, to conclude a contract.
You can get a VOG if you do not have a criminal record. Have you done something criminal? Then Justis will check whether you can still obtain a certificate. This is only possible if the crime has nothing to do with the reason for which you are applying for the certificate.
You apply for the Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) from the municipality where you are registered. It goes like this:
- Come to your appointment in person. Bring the following with you:
- The completed application form. You usually get this form from the organization asking you for the statement.
- Your proof of identity, such as a passport or driver's license.
- Your bank card. You pay immediately at the time of application.
You can also authorize someone to make the application. You give this person a written authorization with your signature on it. This person will bring along:
- the written authorization with your signature
- his or her own identity document
- A copy of your proof of identity.
Or request the VOG online through Justis. This can be done when the organization that needs the VOG from you prepares the application.
Application through the municipality: €41,35
Application through Justis: €33.85
Are you a volunteer and do you work with young people under 18? Or with vulnerable persons? You can obtain the VOG free of charge. For more information, visit the Justis site or gratisvog.nl.
Please allow for a delivery time of 2 to 4 weeks
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Veendam