Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG) in the Netherlands
Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country.
There are several ways to apply for a VOG:
- Are you registered with your municipality in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP)? Then you or your employer can submit a fully completed application form to the municipality.
- Are you not registered with your municipality in the BRP? For example, if you are working in the Netherlands temporarily or living outside the Netherlands? Then send your application with all accompanying appendices to Justis by post (in Dutch). You can also download the application form from the justis.nl website.
Do you own a company or organisation that requires a VOG? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen – VOG RP (certificate of conduct for legal entities).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Declaration of good conduct
Please note: you can apply for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality
Make an appointment online to request a Declaration of Good Conduct at the counter at the municipality.
Please bring the following to the appointment:
- the completed VOG application form;
- a valid proof of identity (passport or identity card);
- official document when applying for emigration, visa or work permit.
Print the application form from the Justis, the Ministry of Justice and Security’s screening authority and fill it in together with your employer. Hand in the form at the municipality where you are registered. You must also take proof of identity with you, such as your passport or driving licence.
You pay costs for a statement of conduct. For more information, see our website under the heading 'What does a statement of conduct cost?'. Use Google to translate this website, at the top right corner (globe icon).
You will receive the VOG or the refusal within 4 weeks at the address you specify in the application.
Do you have questions about the progress of your application? Then call the Justis Service, telephone 088 - 998 2200. Keep the application number to hand. This number can be found at the bottom of the copy of your application.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Eindhoven