If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).
Special social assistance is subject to the following conditions among others:
- you are lawfully living and staying in the Netherlands.
- you do not have enough income and funds to pay the costs yourself.
- you are at least 18 years old.
- you have expenses due to an exceptional or urgent situation, such as surgery or moving house.
- you cannot cover the costs in any other way.
Your municipality can tell you what other conditions apply in your situation.
If you have any questions about your situation, contact your municipality.
You can also contact the Sociaal Raadslieden (social counsellors) in your municipality. They provide free information and advice on legal problems. If there are none in your municipality find Sociaal Raadslieden closest to you (in Dutch) on the Sociaal Werk Nederland website.
You can also get free legal advice in English from Het Juridisch Loket (Legal Services Counter) (link in Dutch). Het Juridisch Loket provides clients with advice and information on all areas of law. All consultations are confidential and free of charge.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Special necessary costs
Please note: you can apply for bijzondere bijstand (special social assistance) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
You can apply for special social assistance from the municipality if you:
- live in the municipality of Hoeksche Waard;
- incurred the costs in the Netherlands.
- Copy of your valid ID card or passport or residence document
- Evidence of (family) income
- Evidence of the amount of your assets and/or debts (bank statements from your checking and savings account on which the balance is stated)
- Evidence of the requested costs
Print the online form and fill it in. Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org . You must also send the following:
- a copy of a valid form of identification,
- proof of your income,
- the most recent statements from all current and savings accounts,
- proof of assets and/or debts,
- a quotation or invoice of the costs for which you request special social welfare assistance.
No costs involved
You will usually receive a letter with our decision within 8 weeks after we have received your application. Sometimes it takes longer, for example if more research is needed or if your application is not yet complete. That is why it is important to complete your application completely.
Please include the following information in your objection:
- your name and address
- the date of your objection
- which decision is involved
- why you do not agree with the decision
- your signature
The notice of objection must be submitted to the municipality by post, by e-mail it is not possible to object. The municipality of Hoeksche Waard is advised by an Objections Committee.
You can send your notice of objection to:
P.O. Box 2003
3260 EA Oud-Beijerland
Call to 14 0186 or sent a email to email@example.com