Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for special social assistance

If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).

This is how it works in your (future) place of residence

Your (future) place of residence falls under the Municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee.

Municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee: Applying for special social assistance

Special assistance is intended for special costs. These are additional, necessary costs that you have to incur, for example due to illness, a handicap or for some other special reason. These must concern costs that you cannot pay yourself or from another facility (such as insurance or reservation). The costs can be one-off, but also recur weekly or monthly.

Examples of special costs are administration costs, but also, for example, a meal provision if you cannot prepare your food yourself.


Own contribution and financial capacity

Even if your income is higher than the minimum income, you can sometimes receive special assistance. Your income can be a benefit from the municipality or another institution, a salary or a pension. Is your income higher than the social assistance standard that applies to you? Usually you have to pay part of the costs yourself. This is also known as 'carrying capacity'. Capacity depends on the level of your income and assets and that of your family members.


The municipality also takes into account your assets and the assets of your family members, such as savings or your own house. You do not have to use up your entire assets before you can receive special assistance. A certain minimum power can be disregarded. If your need for special assistance is greater than that minimum, you can receive special assistance for the excess.


The special assistance sometimes consists of a loan. How much you have to repay on the loan depends on your income and the amount of your social assistance benefit.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee

Visiting address

Also useful

Last updated on 21 September 2022