If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the werk.nl website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).
You are entitled to social assistance if you:
are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;
are aged 18 or over;
do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);
cannot claim any other provision or benefit;
are not in prison or in a detention house.
There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Do you have little or no income? Then you can apply for social assistance. With social assistance you can pay necessary costs such as food, clothing and rent.
Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
You can apply for social assistance from the municipality of Zwolle if you meet the following additional conditions:
- You live in the Netherlands legitimately.
- You live in the municipality of Zwolle.
- You do not yet receive an Algemene Ouderdomswet – AOW (State Pension).
- The income of you and/or your partner does not exceed the social assistance standard that applies to you.
- Do you live with your partner or have a joint household with someone? If so, the income and savings of that person are also taken into account.
- Your assets is not higher than the Participation Act allows.
- You are nog in prison.
- Uou will not receive a student grant
- You are not entitled to any other benefit.
- You are participating in activities offered to you by the municipality of Zwolle to find work.
- You must understand, speak, read and write Dutch to a sufficient standard. You are entitled to social welfare assistance even if your Dutch is not good enough. However, the municipality may reduce your welfare benefit if you do not do your best to learn Dutch.
- Are you between 18 and 27 years old? If so, you can also apply for social assistance on the condition that, first, you actively look for work or education for 4 weeks.
For your application, we need at least from you (and your partner):
- copy of a valid identity document (not a driver's license)
- copy of bank statements and other belongings
- copy of proof of all your other income
You will find out within 8 weeks whether you will receive social assistance. You will receive social assistance from the date of the application.