If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the werk.nl website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).
You are entitled to social assistance if you:
are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;
are aged 18 or over;
do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);
cannot claim any other provision or benefit;
are not in prison or in a detention house.
There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Landgraaf: Applying for social assistance
Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
ISD BOL provides this product on behalf of the municipality of Landgraaf.
You can apply for social assistance from the municipality of Landgraaf if you meet the following conditions:
- You live in the municipality of Landgraaf.
- You do not yet receive an Algemene Ouderdomswet – AOW (State Pension).
- Do you live with your partner or have a joint household with someone? If so, the income and savings of that person are also taken into account.
- Do adult children and/or other housemates live with you? Then this may affect the amount of your benefit.
- You are participating in activities offered to you by the municipality of Landgraaf to find work.
- Are you between 18 and 27 years old? If so, you can also apply for social assistance on the condition that, first, you actively look for work or education for 4 weeks.
You will find out within 8 weeks whether you will receive social assistance. You will receive social assistance from the date of the application.