If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the werk.nl website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).
You are entitled to social assistance if you:
are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;
are aged 18 or over;
do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);
cannot claim any other provision or benefit;
are not in prison or in a detention house.
There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Hof van Twente: Applying for social assistance
Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
You can apply for social assistance benefit from the municipality of Hof van Twente if these additional conditions apply to you:
- You live in the municipality of Hof van Twente.
- You do not yet receive a state pension.
- Do you live with your partner or do you have a joint household with someone? Then this person's income and savings also count.
- You participate in activities offered by the municipality of Hof van Twente to help you find work.
- You must understand, speak, read and write sufficient Dutch. You are entitled to assistance, even if your Dutch is not good enough. However, the municipality may reduce your benefit if you do not do your best to learn Dutch.
- Are you between 18 and 27 years old? Then you can also apply for a benefit on the condition that you first actively look for work or training for 4 weeks.
You will find out within 8 weeks whether you will receive social assistance. You will receive social assistance from the date of the application.