Applying for a second passport in the Netherlands
Are you a citizen of the Netherlands and do you need an additional Dutch passport for your travels? You can apply for one from the municipality where you live. However, additional passports are subject to conditions.
You can use a second passport if:
- You travel to different countries that are in conflict with one another. Do you have a stamp from the first country in your passport? If so, you may not be able to enter the other country. A second passport can help you in such a case. The Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken – BZK (Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations) provides a list of countries in conflict (in Dutch).
- You often need a visa for the countries to which you travel. Suppose your passport is at an embassy for the purpose of a visa application. Without a second passport, you will not be able to travel outside the Netherlands.
You can obtain an additional Dutch passport if:
- Your first and current passport is valid for at least another 6 months;
- You can demonstrate that you need a second passport. Ask your municipality, embassy or consulate what evidence you need to present.
Do you live in the Netherlands? If so, you can apply for a second Dutch passport from the municipality where you live.
Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your second Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Please note: you can only apply for a second passport if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
To apply for a second passport, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are a Dutch citizen.
- Your first passport is valid for at least another 6 months.
- You can demonstrate that you need the second passport.
- You are travelling to a country that you cannot enter using a Dutch identity card.
You always need the following:
- All IDs and passports in your possession. Even if they are no longer valid.
- Documents to prove that the second passport is necessary.
- 1 passport photo not older than 6 months in color.
If you do not have the passport because you sent it for a visa application, please also bring the following:
- Proof that you have a booking in the period that the passport is not in your possession.
- A copy of the holder page of your first passport. The holder page is the page with your photo.
- A copy of all visa pages.
- A statement from the embassy or consulate, showing that your first passport is there. This statement must contain the document number of your first passport.
You must apply for a second passport in person at the municipality where you live. You must also collect the passport in person.
Book an appointment now to apply for a second passport.
Een afspraak maken | Gemeente Eindhoven (mijnafspraakmaken.nl)
Do you need your document sooner than in 5 working days’ time? If so, you can request the urgent procedure. There is a surcharge for this service. If you apply before 14:00, you will be able to collect your passport after 13:00 the next working day.
Do you need your document sooner? You may be eligible for an emergency passport from the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Military Police). More information can be found on the Defensie website
You pay costs for applying for a passport. For more information, see our website under the heading 'What does a passport or identity card cost?'.
Use Google to translate this website, at the top right corner (globe icon).
Your passport will be ready for collection from the municipality after 5 working days. You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
A second passport is valid for 2 years.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Eindhoven