Are you planning to build or demolish something in your garden or next to your home? For example, do you intend to build a garage or cut down a tree? If so, you will often need a planning permit (omgevingsvergunning). You can apply for this permit via Omgevingsloket online. In some cases you only need to notify the authorities, and no permit is required.
You need a planning permit for various activities in your garden or in and around your house, such as:
- building a driveway;
- modifying, renovating or restoring a listed building;
- cutting down trees.
Go to Omgevingsloket online (online environment portal) to check whether you require a planning permit (in Dutch) or if just a notification is sufficient.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Arnhem: Applying for a planning permit
Do you want to know whether you need an omgevingsvergunning (planning permit)? You can do an online vergunningcheck (permit check) at the Omgevingsloket online (planning permit online service desk) in Dutch.
The outcome of the permit check tells you which documents you must enclose. An architect or contractor can help you with this.
When applying for an environmental permit, you generally complete the following steps:
- Take the permit check at www.omgevingsloket.nl to find out whether you are subject to a permit or notification obligation for your activities.
- You can submit the application digitally in the following ways:
- Submit the application, including the attachments, in its entirety via the environment counter.
- Submit the application form via the environment counter, and then send the attachments that form part of the application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You need a DigiD account or eHerkenning to digitally apply for an environmental permit or to make a notification.
- If there is no other option, you can still submit the application on paper. You can compile a paper application form via www.omgevingsloket.nl.
- The municipality sends an acknowledgement of receipt via the Arnhem Region Environment Agency (ODRA) and publishes the application as part of a regular procedure on www.overheid.nl. It also checks whether the application is complete. If it turns out documents are missing, you will be informed about this. The municipality will indicate within which period you can still submit the missing documents.
- Your application will be assessed substantively. For example, rules from the zoning plan and the policy document on planning regulations for the location and external appearance of buildings can be examined. If you are going to build, your application will also be tested against the technical requirements of the Buildings Decree (fire safety, ventilation, etc.).
Good to know
You may not start until you have received the permit. If you start earlier, you may have to undo the work at your own expense.
You must pay a fee to process an application for an environmental permit. The costs of this permit depend on the activities.
Discount for sustainable renovation
If you will be renovating in sustainably, you can get a discount from the municipality.
e gemeente heeft 8 weken (standaard procedure) nodig om uw aanvraag te beoordelen. Soms is dat 26 weken (uitgebreide procedure). Dit gebeurt bijvoorbeeld als u iets anders wilt dan wat in het bestemmingsplan staat. De gemeente kan de termijn 1 keer met 6 weken verlengen.
In een aantal gevallen is het mogelijk om een zogenaamde flitsvergunning aan te vragen. Bij een flitsvergunning krijgt u tussen een dag en 2 weken een beslissing op uw aanvraag. U neemt als aanvrager van de flitsvergunning zelf het initiatief om de vergunningaanvraag te toetsen aan de voorwaarden. Meer informatie vindt u ook bij Omgevingsdienst Regio Arnhem (ODRA).
The list of permit applications and decisions are published on [link naar pagina gemeente].
Do you disagree with the decision? If so, you can lodge a complaint. The following applies:
- For a standard permit (8 weeks), you must lodge a complaint within 6 weeks of the decision being made and published. The conditions for lodging a complaint can be found on [link to municipality page] .
- For an extended permit (26 weeks), the initial decision is a pending decision. You can submit your response within 6 weeks. After that a final decision will be issued. You can appeal to the rechtbank (district court) within 6 weeks. You can send your letter by post to: [Adres rechtbank]
Good to know
You may start work only once you have received the permit. If you start earlier, you may be required to undo the work at your own expense.