Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport) at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you can apply for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport) at your municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one
Please note: you can only apply for a new Dutch passport or renew your old one if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Do you have Dutch nationality, but no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
All your travel documents: passports and/or identity cards, valid or not valid. If you no longer have a travel document, please bring another valid proof of identity (with photo and signature)
1 color passport photo that looks good on you (not a school photo!). The photo must be no more than 6 months old at the time of application. The photographer knows the requirements for a passport photo
Money: you pay for the passport in cash or with pin
Are you under 18 years old? Then arrange the following:
Both parents or someone who has parental authority completes the online form Permission to apply for a passport or Dutch identity card for minors. DigiD is required for this. Your parents don't have to come with you.
You are present when applying for and collecting the passport
- Passport 18 years and older (valid for 10 years): €77,85
- Passport up to 18 years (valid for 5 years): €58,85
- Extra costs for an urgent request: €53,-
- Business passport: €77,85
After around a week, you can collect your passport yourself from the municipality. This also applies to children up to the age of 18. When you apply, you will be provided with more information about how to collect your passport.
You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
Do you need your passport sooner than that?
- If you need your passport quickly, you can make a spoedaanvraag (urgent request). If you apply for the passport before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. Allow for some delay if you no longer have your old passport.
- If you need the passport today, contact the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Marechaussee) for an emergency passport.
- An adult passport is valid for 10 years.
- For children up to the age of 18, a passport is valid for 5 years.
De Lind 44
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 19.00
8.30 - 13.00