Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one in the Netherlands
Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? You may be eligible for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport). Ask at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you are eligible for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport). Contact your municipality for this.
- A colour passport photo that complies with the Dutch passport photo requirements;
- All travel and identification documents in your possession.
Passport for children up to the age of 18
- Your child must be present when you apply.
- All parents / legal guardians must give permission for the passport application. You must fill in a form for this. You can get the form from the municipality. Bring the completed consent form with you to the application appointment. In a number of municipalities you fill in the form and give permission using your DigiD.
- A colour passport photo of your child that meets the passport photo requirements;
- All of your child's passports and identity papers. Even if they have expired.
- A valid proof of identity of all the parents/guardians.
Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.
This is how it works for you
Your (future) place of residence falls under:
Here is some information from your municipality.
You must apply for a passport in person at the municipality where you live. Make an appointment to apply for a passport.
After around a week, you can collect your passport yourself from the municipality. This also applies to children up to the age of 18. When you apply, you will be provided with more information about how to collect your passport.
You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
Do you need your passport sooner than that?
- If you need your passport quickly, you can make a spoedaanvraag (urgent request). If you apply for the passport before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. Allow for some delay if you no longer have your old passport.
- If you need the passport today, contact the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Marechaussee) for an emergency passport.
- An adult passport is valid for 10 years.
- For children up to the age of 18, a passport is valid for 5 years.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Hilversum