Does an organisation outside the Netherlands (e.g. a pension fund) need proof that you are alive? Then you need an Attestatie de vita (certificate of life). You can apply for this at your municipality.
There are 2 types of proof of life documents that are available in the Netherlands:
- The Attestatie de vita is an international document in Dutch and French. This document comes from the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (registers van de burgerlijke stand). You can use the certificate outside the Netherlands. You can also get an annex to the certificate explaining the document in German, Spanish, Greek, Italian, Portuguese and Turkish.
- The Bewijs van in leven zijn (certificate of existence) is an excerpt taken from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). This states that you are registered as alive in the BRP. This extract is in Dutch and can be used in the Netherlands.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Request a proof of life or attestation de vita
Proof of being alive
If you need proof of being alive in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire, St. Maarten, St. Eustatius and Saba, you do not request a certificate de vita but proof of being alive. If you need proof of being alive in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire, St. Maarten, St. Eustatius and Saba, you do not request a certificate de vita but proof of being alive. A Proof of Being Alive is an extract from the Personal Records Database (BRP). It states that you are registered as alive in the BRP. This extract has been drawn up in Dutch and can be used in the Netherlands. Request your proof of being alive quickly and easily online. Would you like to request proof of being alive in person? Make an appointment.
Attestatie de vita
An attestation de vita is an international proof that you are alive. For example, you need a certificate de vita if your foreign life insurer or pension fund requests it. An attestation de vita is in Dutch and in French. The document is valid for 6 months. You can do your request online, personally or written. Request your attestation de vita quickly and easily online.
- A valid proof of identity.
- If you apply for the attestation de vita for a pension fund, you also take the letter from the pension fund asking for this.
- DigiD if you make the application online.
Proof of being alive: € 9,65
Attestatie de vita: € 14,30
You will receive the document immediately. If you have requested the proof online or in writing, you will receive it at home. This may take several days.
Anna van Raesfeltstraat 37