Does an organisation outside the Netherlands (e.g. a pension fund) need proof that you are alive? Then you need an Attestatie de vita (certificate of life). You can apply for this at your municipality.
There are 2 types of proof of life documents that are available in the Netherlands:
- The Attestatie de vita is an international document in Dutch and French. This document comes from the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (registers van de burgerlijke stand). You can use the certificate outside the Netherlands. You can also get an annex to the certificate explaining the document in German, Spanish, Greek, Italian, Portuguese and Turkish.
- The Bewijs van in leven zijn (certificate of existence) is an excerpt taken from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). This states that you are registered as alive in the BRP. This extract is in Dutch and can be used in the Netherlands.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Proof of being alive or certificate de vita
Authorities may ask for written proof that you are still alive. This is called proof of life or a certificate de vita. You request these documents from the municipality where you live or stay.
A proof of being alive or an attestation de vita is written proof that you are still alive. Bodies such as a pension fund or benefits agency can request this.
The difference between the two documents is:
You use proof of being alive in the Netherlands. This is an extract from the Personal Records Database (BRP).
You use a certificate de vita abroad. This is a certificate from the registry office.
You can also request a multilingual model form for an attestation de vita.
Are you retiring soon or are you already receiving a pension? Then you will receive this extract for free. In this case, digital applications are not possible. Request your free proof of life or certificate of vita at the Public Affairs. Please bring your proof of identity and a copy of the written request from the pension fund with you.
You are registered in the municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee.
How to request proof of life online:
- Log in with your DigiD.
- Fill in the details.
- You pay the extract online with iDEAL.
- You will be sent home proof of being alive.
This is how you personally request proof of life or attestation de vita:
You go to the municipality where you are registered.
You take with you:
- your valid ID
- possibly the message from the authority stating that you need proof of being alive
You pay the costs with the application. Please pay with pin.
- A standard proof of being alive (Dutch) costs € 10.25 if you pick it up at the counter of the town hall (by appointment only!)
- If you request the extract online, the costs are € 8.30.
- Does your pension fund ask for the extract? Then it's free.
- A multilingual (international) certificate de vita costs € 14.30.
The municipality will send you the extract within one working day. Depending on the postal delivery to your address, this may take longer.
Koningin Julianaweg 45
08:00 - 12:00
08:00 - 17:00
08.00 - 17.00
08:00 - 17:00
18:00 - 20:00
08:00 - 12:00