Do you have a disability? Would you like access to parking spaces that make parking easier and are close to shops or your office? Then you can apply for a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities. You can apply if you have had a disability for at least 6 months and with the help of crutches or a walking frame cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own.
You must be able to prove that you are entitled to an EU parking card for people with disabilities. This requires a medical examination by a medical examiner. The municipality will arrange this for you. To qualify for an EU parking card for people with disabilities you should not able to walk more than 100 metres on your own, even with aids such as crutches or a walking frame. Is your disability chronic? Is your municipality is already aware of your disability? Then a medical examination is not required.
There are 2 types of EU parking cards for people with disabilities:
- You can drive yourself with a driver's card. These are the conditions for a driver's card:
- you have a driving licence;
- the driver's card is registered to you as a person, so you do not need to have your own vehicle;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids.
These are the conditions for a passenger card:
- you cannot drive yourself;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids;
- you always need your driver to help you from door to door;
- the passenger's card is only for your personal use.
Children under the age of 18 may also be eligible for their own passenger's card. They must meet the same conditions.
A combined driver’s and passenger’s card is also available.
Do you have a disabled person's parking card from another country in the EU? In that case, this card is also valid in the Netherlands. Do you want to renew your disabled parking card? If so, you can apply for a new disabled parking card in the Netherlands. The Dutch conditions will then apply.
You can apply for an EU parking card for people with disabillities through your municipality
Not registered with a municipality
If you are not registered with a municipality, you will need to apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities at the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – CBR (central office for driving licences).
Renewing your parking card for people with disabilities after 5 years
Your EU parking card for people with disabilities is valid for a maximum of 5 years. If doctors expect you to recover from your disability within 5 years, your card’s validity period may be shorter. You can apply to renew your EU parking card for people with disabilities through your municipality. Do so in enough time before the expiry date, as your municipality will need time to assess your application.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
disabled parking cart
Please note: You can only apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Terms and Conditions
- you have a demonstrable disability of a long-term nature, as a result of which you are unable – with the usual aids – to walk more than 100 meters at a time;
- or you are permanently wheelchair-bound;
- or you have a serious disability, other than a walking disability.
Additional conditions driver card
- you have a (moped) driving license and you are the driver of a motor vehicle with more than two wheels or a microcar.
Additional conditions passenger card
- not everyone is eligible for a passenger card. This is only possible if you are continuously dependent on the driver's assistance. This means that your condition is such that you cannot be dropped off at your destination and can only wait there for the driver to return if they park the car elsewhere.
Settings card conditions
- this card can only be requested by the board of the AWBZ institution;
- the institution's staff must be in charge of transporting residents who meet the legal criteria to be eligible for a disabled parking card.
There are two ways to apply for a disabled parking card.
- You can submit a digital application for a disabled parking card. You must use DigiD for this.
You can also pick up the application form for a disabled parking card yourself at the Public Desk in the Town Hall of the Municipality of Oldenzaal on Ganzenmarkt 1. You can fill in the forms at the Public Desk and hand it in there as well. Or you can complete them at home and receive a return envelope. Are you unable to complete the form yourself and do you have no one in your area who can help you with this? Then you can contact us.
Before we make a decision on your application, you must undergo a medical examination.
Extension of disabled parking card
You can also apply for an extension of your disabled parking card online. Use the above request option for this. Requests at the Public Desk is of course also possible. You will have to pay a fee again for this application. Sometimes you also have to undergo a new medical examination. If we have information that shows that you still meet the conditions, a new inspection is not necessary.
You have to pay a fee to apply for a disabled parking card. We will then assess your request. But that does not mean that you will always receive a parking ticket. We may reject your application if you do not meet the conditions. So consider carefully whether you want to submit an application. The legal costs are € 41.00. If your application for a parking ticket is granted, you must also provide passport photos.
With a disabled parking card you can park in all municipalities in the Netherlands. You can even park for free within the municipality of Oldenzaal. Note: this does not apply to all other municipalities. You can inquire with the relevant other municipality whether or not you have to pay for parking.