Applying to collect a driving licence in the Netherlands
Have you passed your practical driving test? You can then collect your driving licence at your municipality. You are not allowed to drive a vehicle until you have collected your driving licence.
You must collect your driving licence in person at your municipality. Take along a colour passport photograph and a valid form of identification. The passport photograph in your driving licence must meet a number of requirements, for example, size and lighting.
If you want more information on how to collect your first driving licence, contact your municipality.
Applying for a driving licence as a 17-year old
In the Netherlands the minimum age to sit a practical driving exam for a car is 17 years. Those who pass are only allowed to drive with a coach (supervisor), until they are 18. If you want to apply for a driving licence as a 17-year old, you must first apply for a begeleiderspas (accompanied driving permit) (in Dutch). You can then select up to 5 supervisors who can register to accompany you while driving. The names of the supervisors you have chosen will be on the accompanied driving permit. These supervisors accompany you while you are driving until your 18th birthday.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Please note: you can only apply for a driving licence if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Applying for your first driving license always goes through the municipality. You can make an appointment online. You immediately pay the costs online. You need DigiD.
You can renew your driving license via the RDW. On RDW.nl you can read what you need to bring and what the conditions are. You pay the costs immediately.
You can also pick up your driving license in person at the municipality. You make an appointment for this. You can also call +31 53 537 74 44.
Bring to appointment
- Valid ID
- 1 official color passport photo (photo not older than 6 months)
- Your old driving license with renewal or extension category
- A passport photo may not be older than 6 months and must meet official requirements.
- You can have a passport photo taken at the city office. You do not need to make an appointment for this.
A health statement is required if you:
- Have health problems that may affect your driving behaviour
- Are 75 years or older
- Your driver's license expires on or after your 75th birthday
- You have a driving license with categories C, CE, D or DE
You can request a health declaration online from the CBR. Or you can make an appointment at the municipality to get a health certificate.
- Driver's license: € 44,65
- Urgent application: € 34,10
- Health statement: € 41
After around a week, you can collect your driving licence from the municipality in person.
Do you need it sooner than that?
If you need your driving licence urgently, you can make an urgent request. If you apply for the driving licence before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. You have to pay an extra fee for an urgent request.
How long are driving licences valid?
- Under 65 years of age: valid for 10 years.
- Between 65 and 70 years of age: valid until your 75th birthday.
- Between 70 and 75 years of age: valid for 5 years.
- Over 75 years of age: valid for a maximum of 5 years.
If you have health problems, the validity period may be shorter.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Losser