Applying to collect a driving licence in the Netherlands
Have you passed your practical driving test? You can then collect your driving licence at your municipality. You are not allowed to drive a vehicle until you have collected your driving licence.
You must collect your driving licence in person at your municipality. Take along a colour passport photograph and a valid form of identification. The passport photograph in your driving licence must meet a number of requirements, for example, size and lighting.
If you want more information on how to collect your first driving licence, contact your municipality.
Applying for a driving licence as a 17-year old
In the Netherlands the minimum age to sit a practical driving exam for a car is 17 years. Those who pass are only allowed to drive with a coach (supervisor), until they are 18. If you want to apply for a driving licence as a 17-year old, you must first apply for a begeleiderspas (accompanied driving permit) (in Dutch). You can then select up to 5 supervisors who can register to accompany you while driving. The names of the supervisors you have chosen will be on the accompanied driving permit. These supervisors accompany you while you are driving until your 18th birthday.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a driving licence
Please note: you can only apply for a driving licence if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
- If you are applying for your first driving licence: a valid passport or identity card.
- Your current driving licence. If it is no longer valid, you must also bring a valid passport or identity card.
- A colour passport photo that meets the passport photo requirements for the Netherlands.
- Method of payment. You pay the fee at the time of application.
In some cases, you must first apply for a gezondheidsverklaring / Verklaring van Geschiktheid – VvG (health certificate / Certificate of Fitness) from the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – CBR (Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing). You must do so if:
- you have a medically diagnosed disability;
- you are 75 years of age or older and your driving licence is expiring;
- you need a driving licence for a lorry or bus (category C and/or D).
Driving licence for young people under the age of 18
- If you are under the age of 18, you may drive only under the supervision of someone who holds a begeleiderspas (instructor’s permit).
- You can register at least 1 and a maximum of 5 instructors.
- First, the instructor registers via the Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer – RDW (Netherlands Vehicle Authority) website. Then you apply for the instructor’s permit. You can do this digitally on the website of the RDW.
- Once the instructors have received their instructor’s permit, you apply for the driving licence from the municipality.
You apply for your driving licence in person at the municipality where you live and are registered. You must make an appointment to do this.
In some cases you can also apply for your driving licence online. You will then be able to collect the new driving licence from the service desk after just 2 working days. You submit the application via the RDW website. Visit the RDW website to find out how to apply for a driving licence online (in Dutch).
Driving licence: € 41,60
Urgent request: € 34,10
Self-declaration for the medical examination: € 41,50
Extra costs in case of loss: € 25,00
You pay when applying for the driving license. Preferably with pin
After around a week, you can collect your driving licence from the municipality in person.
Do you need it sooner than that?
If you need your driving licence urgently, you can make an urgent request. If you apply for the driving licence before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. You have to pay an extra fee for an urgent request.
How long are driving licences valid?
- Under 65 years of age: valid for 10 years.
- Between 65 and 70 years of age: valid until your 75th birthday.
- Between 70 and 75 years of age: valid for 5 years.
- Over 75 years of age: valid for a maximum of 5 years.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Aalten
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 19:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 12:30