Travelling with a passport or identity document

Are you planning on going abroad? For Dutch nationals, an identity card is usually enough for travel within the European Union. Outside the European Union, you will need a passport. Some countries also require a visa.

Travelling within the European Union

If you are Dutch and are travelling within the European Union, you will need an identity card or passport. An identity card is enough for travel within the European Union.

But you don't only need your identity document when you cross a border (for example, at an airport or port). You must always be able to identify yourself with an identity card or passport in any European country. Your driving licence won't be accepted.

Travelling outside Europe

If you are Dutch and are travelling outside the European Union, you will need a valid passport. Some countries require your passport to be valid for a certain number of months when you enter or leave the country.

Many countries outside Europe also require a visa. You can apply for a visa to the embassy or consulate of your country of destination.

Which passport should I use if I have dual nationality?

If you have dual nationality you may hold passports from both countries. The passport you travel on will determine whether or not you need a visa.

Applying for a Dutch passport

If you are Dutch and currently living in the Netherlands, you can apply to the municipal authority where you are registered for a passport or identity card. If you are currently living in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, you can apply for your document at the Population Affairs Department (Afdeling Burgerzaken) or the Office of the Governor.

If you are Dutch but currently live in another country, you can apply for a passport at a Dutch embassy or consulate in the region where you live. You can also apply for a passport at 11 Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol airport.