Renewing your Dutch passport in the United States

If you live in the United States and you are a Dutch national, you can renew your Dutch passport at a Dutch embassy or consulate-general.


  • You have Dutch nationality.
  • You are 18 years old or over.
  • You hold a Dutch passport or ID card (valid or expired) or were previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If your situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a passport.

Renewing your passport in the Netherlands

If you are visiting the Netherlands soon, you can submit an application at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a passport, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

You can find a list of the required documents in the checklist (PDF ). Please note, the checklist only lists which documents you must provide. The requirements that the documents must meet are set out on this page.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should bring a completed and signed passport application form (in Dutch and English).


Two photos (1 required and 1 spare) that meet the Dutch requirements for passport photos.

Proof of identity

You must go to the embassy or consulate-general to prove your identity and have your fingerprints taken.

Partner’s name

You can add your partner’s name to your passport. If your marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership is not held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), bring an official copy of the certificate with you. This document does not need to have been issued recently. And it does not need to be legalised.

Widow or widower

If you are a widow or widower and you want this to be recorded in your passport for the first time, please bring an official copy of your partner’s death certificate with you.

Dual nationality

If you have another nationality in addition to your Dutch nationality, and this is the first time you are renewing an identity document after turning 18 or your first application since acquiring your other nationality, you will need to provide additional documents because of your dual nationality.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live.

In the United States, you can do this by providing: 

  • a valid visa and supporting documents (a Homeland Security's 797 Notice of Action)   or
  • a valid residence permit.

Do you have the American nationality? Then you can show that you are legally residing in the US by providing:

  • a copy of your American passport (if you were born in the US)   or
  • a certificate of naturalisation as a US citizen or proof of birth abroad, a so-called Consular Report of Birth Abroad, CRBA (if you were not born in the US).

If you do not have valid US immigration documents, you must hold a ‘Certification of Non-existence of a Record of Naturalisation’. You can request this document from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Dual nationality

If this is your first application since acquiring another nationality, you must provide additional documents showing how and when you acquired that nationality.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Washington, DC or the consulate-general in Miami, New York or San Francisco.

Waiting time for an appointment in Washington DC and San Francisco

The waiting time for an appointment to apply for a passport or identity card is currently one month or longer. Consult the appointment system on a regular basis to see if an earlier appointment has become available.

You can also apply for a passport or identity card at:

If you have a valid reason for making an urgent appointment, please email Washington or San Francisco. Examples of valid reasons include a medical emergency, a wedding or the death of a family member. The embassy or consulate will assess the documentary evidence you submit in support of your request and decide whether an earlier appointment can be scheduled..

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in the United States. At Dutch representations in the United States, payments must be made by Visa or Mastercard credit or debit cards only. American Express, Discover or Diners Club are not accepted. Cash payments are also not possible.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy or consulate-general. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Washington, DC or the consulate-general in Miami, New York or San Francisco at the following times:

  • Washington, DC: between 11.00 and 12.30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • Miami: between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday
  • New York: make an appointment by sending an email stating your name and the time you would like to collect your document
  • San Francisco: between 9:30 and 13:00 Monday to Friday.

You only need to make an appointment to visit the consulate-general in New York. First check on which days our embassy and consulates-generals are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by UPS, FedEX or DHL. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself, and you will need to provide a pre-paid, electronically generated shipping label with your application (1 label per application ). For more details on acceptable types of labels, please read the mailing instructions.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

If you did not hand your old passport or ID card in when you submitted your application, please bring it with you when you come to collect your new one. The embassy or consulate will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the Dutch embassy in Washington D.C., the Consulate General in New York, the Consulate General in Miami or the Consulate General in San Fransisco.