Renewing your Dutch passport in the United Kingdom

If you live in the United Kingdom and you are a Dutch national, you can renew your Dutch passport at the Dutch embassy in London.


  • You have the Dutch nationality.
  • You are 18 years old or over.
  • You hold a Dutch passport or ID card (valid or expired) or were previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If your situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a passport.

Where to renew your passport

You can renew your passport at a Dutch embassy or consulate-general. Or, if you will be visiting the Netherlands soon, you can submit an application at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a passport, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your name. This includes foreign and expired documents.

Application form

You should also bring a completed and signed passport application form. Complete the form online (this site is in Dutch) and print it out. Or print the form (PDF, 222 KB) (in Dutch) and complete it in pen.

An English translation of this form is available, use this document as a guide to fill in your Dutch application form.


Bring a photo that meets the Dutch requirements for passport photos.

Proof of identity

You must go to the embassy or consulate-general to prove your identity and have your fingerprints taken.

Partner’s name

You can add your partner’s name to your passport. If your marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership is not held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), bring an official copy of the certificate with you. This document does not need to have been issued recently. And it does not need to be legalised.

Widow or widower

If you are a widow or widower and you want this to be recorded in your passport for the first time, please bring an official copy of your partner’s death certificate with you.

Dual nationality

If you have another nationality in addition to your Dutch nationality, and this is the first time you are renewing an identity document after turning 18 or your first application since acquiring your other nationality, you will need to provide additional documents because of your dual nationality.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live.

In the United Kingdom, you can do this by providing one of the following: 

  • a bank statement bearing your address
  • a utility bill bearing your address
  • proof of payment of council tax

If your passport or ID card is with the Home Office

You must provide all identity documents in your name when you submit your application.

If you have requested a residence document from the UK government and your identity documents are with the Home Office, you should ask the Home Office to return them.

If your Dutch passport or ID card is with the Home Office, you cannot apply for an emergency document.

How do I make an appointment?

London embassy

You can make an appointment online to visit the London embassy.

Space in the waiting room is limited. If you arrive too early, please wait outside. Friends and family are not allowed into the waiting room if they do not have an appointment.

Please ensure you have completed the application form in full and that you have the correct photos. Please be on time. If there is anything missing from your application, the embassy cannot help you and you will have to make another appointment.

VFS Global Edinburgh

You can make an appointment online to visit VFS Global Edinburgh. You can also make an appointment by calling +44 (0)8713760023 (calls charged at 6p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge). Or you can email

VFS Global processes applications to renew:

  • valid Dutch passports or ID cards
  • Dutch passports or ID cards that expired less than 2 years ago

VFS Global Edinburgh is not a consulate. It forms part of a pilot project and the cost of applying through VFG Global is higher.

If you want to apply for your first Dutch passport or ID card, or if your passport or ID card is lost or stolen, you must apply in person at the embassy in London.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in the United Kingdom. Payments can be made by debit or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

If you cannot pay by debit or credit card, cash payment in pounds sterling (GBP) in the exact amount is possible.

American Express cards, money orders or cheques are not accepted.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in London or VFS Global in Edinburgh.

  • London: between 10.00 and 12.00 and between 14.00 and 15.30 Monday to Friday, except for the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month
  • Edinburgh: between 8.30 and 17.30 Monday to Friday

You will receive an invitation to collect your document from the embassy or VFS Global as soon as it is ready. You should bring the invitation with you.

You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can have your new passport or ID card sent to a UK address by Royal Mail Special Delivery. You will have to pay the GBP 7 postage charge yourself.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

If you did not hand your old passport or ID card in when you submitted your application, please bring it with you when you come to collect your new one. The embassy or VFS global will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.
If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in London.