Renewing your Dutch passport in Japan

If you live in Japan and you are a Dutch national, you can renew your Dutch passport at the Dutch embassy in Tokyo.


  • You have Dutch nationality.
  • You are 18 years old or over.
  • You hold a Dutch passport or ID card (valid or expired) or were previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If your situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a passport.

Renewing your passport in the Netherlands

If you are visiting the Netherlands soon, you can submit an application at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a passport, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

You can find a list of the required documents in the checklist (PDF ). Please note, the checklist only lists which documents you must provide. The requirements that the documents must meet are set out on this page.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should bring a completed and signed passport application form (in Dutch and English).


Two photos (1 required and 1 spare) that meet the Dutch requirements for passport photos.

Proof of identity

You must go to the embassy or consulate-general to prove your identity and have your fingerprints taken.

Partner’s name

You can add your partner’s name to your passport. If your marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership is not held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), bring an official copy of the certificate with you. This document does not need to have been issued recently. And it does not need to be legalised.

Widow or widower

If you are a widow or widower and you want this to be recorded in your passport for the first time, please bring an official copy of your partner’s death certificate with you.

Dual nationality

If you have another nationality in addition to your Dutch nationality, and this is the first time you are renewing an identity document after turning 18 or your first application since acquiring your other nationality, you will need to provide additional documents because of your dual nationality.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live.

In Japan, you can do this by providing: 

  • a valid residence permit (zairyu card)
  • a valid visa (a sticker or stamp in your passport)
  • a Japanese passport (in the case of dual nationality)


Legalisation and translation of Japanese documents

In case of a birth or marriage in Japan the family register (koseki tohon: 戸籍謄本) of the Japanese father/mother, in which the information of the child and your partner are included, can be used as a marriage certificate and birth certificate.

If both parents are non-Japanese and the birth/marriage took place in Japan, a "jurishomeisho" can be provided as birth/marriage certificate. Birth certificate: shusseitodoke jurishoumeisho (出生届受理証明書). Marriage certificate: konintodokejurishomeisho (婚姻届受理証明書).

All documents must be recent (not older than one year) and accompanied by an apostille stamp and certified translation.

The apostille stamp (アポスティーユ認証) can be obtained by the legalization department of the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (外務省領事移住部証明班). This can be done for free and picked up on weekdays. For further information please contact the Ministry: 03-3580-3311. Address: Chiyoda-ku, Kasumigaseki 2-2-1, Tokio (closest station: Kasumigaseki, exit A8).

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Tokyo.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Japan.
Payments can only be made in cash, in Japanese yen (JPY).

Where can I have a photo taken?

The photo accompanying your passport and/or ID card application must meet the Dutch requirements. The following photographer in Tokyo is aware of these requirements:

Photo Studio Katsuyama has experience making Dutch passport pictures and is close to the Embassy. You can find it by taking exit 4A from the Kamiyacho subway station. Turn left after leaving the exit and proceed straight for about 400 meters. The shop will be directly left of the overhead walkway.

Photo Studio Katsuyama

Address: 35 Mori Building, 3-4-10 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokio
Tel.: 03-3434-2353
Open from 10:00 to 18:00
Cost: 3000 Yen

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Tokyo on Monday between 11.00 and 12.00 and Tuesday to Friday between 09.00 and 12.00. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by registered post or by courier. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself.

If you choose to have your new document sent to you, bring a JPY 510 Letter Pack with you when you submit your application. A Letter Pack is a standard envelope issued by Japan Post. It can be purchased from most post offices and convenience stores. You can find more information on the Japan Post website.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Tokyo.